Can i commit a crime being 100% sober and don't remember?

1 June 2016 - 4:16

Profile Image
Forum User

Hi! First of all thank you for your support, and sorry for my bad english, i'm not from UK!My OCD is making me crazy, specially in this last 2 weeks.I have violent intrusive thoughts, i'm not a violent person, and i always was a shy but happy guy, i never did any phisical harm to anyone except a fight in high school.after an alcohol induced blackout 3 months ago i started to doubt my memory even sober, and then i noticied that sometimes i forget some details about my day(ex: if i brushed my teeth or not), it slowly started to worry me.My main fear is to losing control and memory and commit a crime, i'm obsessed about everything, today i walk 5km and now i'm trying to remember every detail to make sure that i didn't commit any crime, if i get any dirty in my hands or they smell strange i start to think that i did something terrible and this smell or dirty is an evidence.My memory is getting worse every day, events that happened yesterday feel like they happened 2 weeks ago.My main concern is, i'm 3 months sober, is it possible to commit a crime 100% sober and can't remember it?

1 June 2016 - 15:29

Forum User

Most unlikely.  The reason you can't remember things like whether you brushed your teeth or not is because you brush your teeth every day and it's normal, so it doesn't stand out in your mind - you sometimes lose track of whether you did do it today or whether you're in fact thinking of yesterday.  (Happens to me too, that's normal.)  If you'd committed a crime, that would stand out, all right! 

Also, I bet one reason you feel like you're confused and can't rememember stuff is simply because you're always distracted by worrying about whether you've committed a crime!  I know that that's true for me, and I've heard a lot of other people on here say it's true for them too.  When my head's full of stupid OCD thoughts I get distracted from everything else all the time.  But if you remember anything at all, you'd remember committing a crime, if you had.  Like I say, that would stand out; when your brain hasn't time to deal with everything that it's seeing, it's the unimportant things it skips, like recording whether you brushed your teeth or not.  It has to prioritise.  Important things get remembered.

1 June 2016 - 23:05

Forum User

I agree with Wombat 100%!

Reply to this topic