If you are diagnosed with OCD and you use more water at home than is considered normal usage, then you MAY be entitled to a capped rate discount with your water company.
The Watersure Scheme applies to all UK water companies with the same criteria throughout. To qualify for the capped discount you must meet the following criteria;
You must have a water meter,
You, or someone living with you, need to receive one of the following:
- Universal Credit
- Housing Benefit
- Income Support
- Income-Based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Working Tax Credit
- Child Tax Credit (except those in receipt of the family element only)
- Pension Credit
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
In addition, you need to either:
- be responsible for three or more children under the age of 19 and in full-time education living in the property, or
- have (or someone living in the property must have) a medical condition which requires significant additional use of water.
Frequently cited examples of medical conditions include weeping skin diseases (such as psoriasis), Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis. In cases where OCD significantly increases your household’s water usage (due to compulsive hand-washing or cleaning, for example) you potentially meet the medical criteria. A letter from your GP (or another clinician) highlighting the reasons for increased water usage can support your case.
Applications for the Watersure Scheme should be made directly to your water provider.
Further information is available here.
Thank you very much to Gail Kemp for bringing this to our attention and for providing us with this information.